COVID 19 Saga (1)

Posted by

No, I haven’t disappeared… based on your messages, emails, and texts… I know you are wondering where I am and what I am up to…This will be a several parts blog!

What happened? February 21, 2020, happened. We were having an amazing lunch with friends. We were sitting outside eating a delicious Italian lunch in Rome, Italy. That day, the news broke out… COVID 19 was detected in Italy where we were living. It only took a few days to realize that Italy was overwhelmed and the country went into lockdown. I believe Americans still do not know what true quarantine is. Let me briefly explain: we were home. PERIOD. There were no trips to the grocery stores with the entire family; only one person per family was allowed. There were no debates on whether or not we should wear a mask; we had to wear one or we were fined. There were no walks outside except to literally just walk around the outside of our house. If we were found outside without a form stating why we were outside, we were fined.

It only took a few weeks for the health care system in northern Italy to become completely overwhelmed. People were dying alone. No funerals were allowed.  

So, after being in quarantine for 3 weeks, my son and I went to the United States to be with friends because let’s be honest, trying to keep a toddler entertained in an apartment with no outside time, no friends, no school, nothing… is not an easy task. We knew that COVID was in the States already and that things would shut down here too but I knew we would be able to go out for walks in nature.

Without saying goodbyes we left. Without closure, we packed our bags and we left. In case you do not remember, I also left from Chad, Africa without a proper goodbye (Click here if you want to read that story.)  I did not get a chance to say goodbye to our neighbors, our friends, our local store owners, the people we interacted with on a daily basis, my son’s teachers and his school, the beautiful places we loved, my beautiful apartment, and our life in Rome. I think I will soon write out my goodbyes because I need to psychologically process these emotions.

On March 18, 2020, Jude and I left from Rome to JFK on a direct flight.

The story continues in a few days…The picture was taken at a park near our house. I did not know that this would be our last… I wasn’t feeling well that day (more on this later) but I am happy I joined them at the park.

Non, je n’ai pas disparu… en voyant tous vos messages, emails et SMS…. Je sais que vous vous demandez où je suis et qu’est-ce que je fais…Voici un blogue en plusieurs parties.

Que s’est-il passé ? Le 21 février s’est passé. Nous étions en train de déjeuner avec des amis italiens. Nous étions assis dehors sur une belle terrasse et la nourriture était délicieuse. A Rome, la vie était belle. Ce jour-là, la nouvelle est survenue que le COVID 19 était en Italie. Il n’a fallu que quelques jours pour que le pays se rende compte que les cas étaient partout et pour que le pays se mette en quarantaine.

Il n’a fallu que quelques semaines pour que le système médical soit complètement dépassé. Les gens mourraient seuls. Les enterrements étaient interdits.

Après avoir été isolés pendant 3 semaines, mon fils et moi sommes repartis pour les États-Unis pour vivre avec des amis… Soyons honnêtes… essayer de divertir un petit bout-chou de 3 ans dans un appartement sans pouvoir aller dehors, sans école, sans amis… ce n’est pas chose facile ! Nous savions que le COVID était aux États-Unis et que la quarantaine arriverait aussi mais nous savions qu’elle ne serait pas aussi stricte qu’en Italie.

Donc, sans dire nos au revoir, nous sommes partis. Sans fermeture émotionnelle, nous avons fait nos valises et nous sommes partis. Je ne sais pas si vous vous en souvenez mais c’est comme cela que j’ai aussi quitté le Tchad (lire histoire ici). Je n’ai pas eu l’occasion de dire au revoir à nos voisins, à nos amis, aux commerçants de notre quartier, aux gens avec qui on vivait tous les jours, aux institutrices de l’école de Jude, à notre bel appartement et à notre vie à Rome. Je crois que je vais avoir besoin d’écrire plus sur le sujet pour pouvoir traiter mes émotions.

Le 18 mars 2020, Jude et moi sommes partis de Rome pour les États-Unis et nous avons atterri à New York (un des derniers vols directs de l’Italie aux États-Unis).

L’histoire continue dans quelques jours…

La photo est dans un parc près de la maison… le week-end où la pandémie a commencé. Je ne savais pas que cela serait notre dernière fois au parc. Je ne me sentais pas bien (plus là-dessus plus tard) mais je suis contente d’avoir rejoint Jude et mon mari cette après-midi là.


Leave a Reply